Translated self help IAPT materials
Some groups that are at a higher risk of developing mental health problems are less likely to self-refer or be referred to psychological therapy services. Barriers to people using psychological therapies include:
- Lack of understanding of the value and effectiveness of therapy
- Language, including the use of particular terms such as ‘talking therapies’. Some individuals can feel that they receive ‘talking therapies’ from their friends or family.
- Stigma of mental health problems and use of mental health services
- Individualist nature of some therapies, which preclude family members or carers
- Religion or belief does not always form part of therapy
- Access and referral processes
To help improve accessibility, the following translated self help materials have been produced in the nine most common, non English languages spoken in London for use by IAPT services. These resources have been made publically available for services to use with kind permission from Camden & Islington NHS Foundation Trust.