A three year programme focusing on respiratory care has been established to support the localisation of the Department of Health consultation on a Strategy for Services for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) in England.
There are four immediate areas of work, which are being configured under the QIPP Right Care framework:
- Stop smoking as a treatment for COPD
- Responsible oxygen prescribing
- Responsible prescribing for respiratory disease
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
Along with the wider issues of:
- End of life care
- Earlier and appropriate diagnosis
- Integrating health and social care services for patients with COPD
These workstreams are being taken forward by the London Respiratory Team in a joint project run with NHS London.